Wednesday 6 March 2013

Long Ago and Far Away


Far away across the universe a rock tumbles in the void of space, racing towards Earth. 

It is the 27th of September. 
The early morning sun dawns across the lush green fields, the shadows of the trees and the chirping of the birds decorate the streets as I walk towards campus. I exchange smiles with friends and and we talk about the trivial problems of our lives;the upcoming scholastic year and the struggles which we would face in the next few months. Little did we know that these would be the least of our problems. 



I was asked a question once, "Do you believe in fate? Might we be living a pre-determined life?". I have always gone against the notion of destiny, but there comes a time when certain events and particular choices make you believe that everything happens for a reason. It's as if there is a superior force controlling us, a master-plan to guide us. What if I said no? Or what if I never met that person? Surely, my life would be different. 

Across the yard there is a shallow pool of water, the aftermath of yesterday's storm, and floating on it is a brown leaf. It slowly drifts with the wind in the light of the new day. The leaf once hanged from a branch that was part of a beautiful tree. This started off as a little seed in the soil and with time it grew into a majestic masterpiece of nature. The water that sustained it had been brought to our planet billions of years ago on space-rocks. Their sheer number created the oceans that harboured life, which eventually evolved into plants and lead to the creation of that little seed, that is now reflected in this dead leaf on the water's surface. Life is a cycle and so is human existence. 



I feel a tug on my shoulder and my daydream is broken. It is my friend and she looks worried. I realize that everyone around me has befallen to silence and they all stare at the skies. My friend looks at me and then lifts her head, and my eyes shift towards the direction to which she's looking. 

Up there in the blue satin of the sky is a blazing white rose of light that's tumbling towards Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment