Friday 11 January 2013

Fear and the Wolf

I remember one time, when I was young, a kid of four or five when I walked in my parent's bedroom and they were watching a horror movie about this werewolf. Needless to say, I was very shocked, and considering the mediocre ways in which they depicted werewolves in those days; big black balls of fur with huge teeth and claws, I got really scared. I ended up having nightmares and waking up at night, yelling for my mother from my room. I used to stay still in bed until I slept because I thought that the wolf was watching from my bedside and would sniff me moving or something. It was close to becoming a phobia, when at some time in my life, ten or twelve years later, this fear vanished completely, and nowadays, the wolf has become my favourite animal. 

Nowadays, it is my dream to work for the conservation of wolves and I am fascinated by their nature. They are majestic intelligent creatures, forming lifelong bonds between pairs. Their characteristic howls are depicted in many scary movies or night settings in plays and other media. To me, howling is none other than a sophisticated beautiful way of communication. The wolf is also a runner. It chases its prey over long distance, its great stamina helping it to outlast. The mane it grows in winter is another beautiful facet of the wolf, and the colours they come in are vast, ranging from various shades of brown to grey and black, but probably the most spectacular are the white or the albinos. White wolfs blend and dissapear in snow environments, helping them to stalk prey or hide from danger. 

On another note, I pose myself a question; how did my fear change into this fascination? Is it possible to overcome your brain's way of thought and reconfigure your brain cells to form new memories that oppose your long life fears? What is fear? I will discuss these further on in the next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment