Thursday 10 January 2013

Questions

As I sit in this room, trying to study the very molecules that make our bodies, I look at the people around me. Most of them are busy, or on a laptop, probably working hard on some problem that has no meaning in their daily lives. That is what I am doing now, studying something I will probably never use ever again. I do this, because it is a must. I can understand the reasoning behind it, because to become a master of a particular topic, you must first be exposed to it, learn its limitations, so that maybe, in the future, you will surpass them. But this is not the reason for which I have stopped studying to write. I write, because I was pondering if all these people around me ever had deeper questions than those that are imposed to them by their lecturer. Have they ever really thought about life, and about death? Have they ever questioned their gods, had doubt? 

I do not see awe in their eyes. Fascination is a rare trait found in only a few. Even for me, it is sometimes hard to conjure fascination, that lust to know about everything around me, but I try to live in awe, I try to go beyond these shackles of my daily life. For what are we but thinking molecular machines? And what is more beautiful than to question? I cannot understand why I am like this, why I always was like this. I have always been a person of questions, and this was not something that I was made to learn by my parents or tutors. Well, let's say, that a very few teachers ever tell you to ask questions openly, but even then, those that do are usually left with no queries by their students. It is very sad to be in a class full of students, and when given the chance to ask questions, no one dares to impose one. I always strive to know more, and to doubt what is told to me. I think that should be how we should all act. We should all try and be creative in a way that we ask about what we do not know, and learn from it.

So as I write down these words, and more people start to flow into the room around me,  I look in their eyes and try to see that fire kindling. I will keep looking, asking, and I will share this with the world, so that they may feel inclined to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment